Definition of Medialuna
Medialuna is a term used to describe an object with a shape similar to the waxing or waning moon. This word is made up of the adjective media and the noun luna; in that same order, its meaning is half and natural satellite of planet Earth
The term medialuna can be used in different contexts, for example:
- It can be used as a synonym for the crescent moon phase that usually appears two days after the new moon.
- The Muslim prayer whose importance is linked to the history of the Islam people.
- The red medialuna also known as the International Red Cross is a global humanitarian movement, this institution is linked to others whose objective is similar; promote international humanitarian rights.
- In Mexico there is a Llamanda lagoon: Laguna de la media luna located in the municipality of Rio Verde in San Luis Potosí. It owes its name to its shape.
- Cayo Media Luna islet belonging to Cuba.
- Half Moon Island is a small crescent shaped island administered by the United Kingdom as part of the South Georgia Islands.
- In the Khobar city in Saudi Arabia there is a recreation place called Half Moon Bay, known for its fishing.
- In countries like Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, medialuna is the term used to call breads known as croissants.
The singer and songwriter Camilo Echeverry or better known as Camilo, released a song titled Medialuna, this song belongs to his album for the first time .