Definition of Congreso
- Meeting or conference that takes place periodically, its estimated duration can be hours or days depending on the importance of the subject to be discussed. For example: Every 5 years is carried out “el congreso mundial de Adventistas del Séptimo Día” (the world congress of Seventh-day).
- It is the body that is responsible for bringing the legislative power of a nation. Likewise, it is made up of various members who are called congressmen.
- By extension, the building in which the legislative power of a country meets is conceived as a “Congreso”.
SYNONYMS FOR CONGRESO
- Legislative power
- National Assembly
ORIGIN OF CONGRESO
Congreso is a word that comes from the Latin congressus which means meeting. Designates, originally a periodic meeting or board of several people to debate on a particular topic. It can be given for academic, associative or other reasons.
Since the times of the Roman Empire, the figure of Congress has been used for political representatives of a nation. In countries where democracy has been consolidated, Congress is authorized to make changes to the constitution through bills.
CURIOSITIES OF CONGRESO
- In many of the democratic countries, Congress is made up of a bicameral figure that is made up of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
- In the case of the political meaning, the word Congreso must always be used with an initial capital letter as it is a proper noun.